The first world war soldier’s song ‘It’s a Long Way to Tipperary’ has been much heard in the commemorations for the 1914-18 war. What’s a surprise to me is how quickly the song became established as the forces’ favourite.
This page is from the weekly women’s magazine Home Chat from September 19 – just weeks after the war had broken out. It’s already ‘The song our soldiers sing’.
Of course, the war changed the content and feel of magazines and the article here gives the music and words to the 1912 music hall song over three pages, with a credit to B Feldman & Co, of 2-3 Arthur Street, London WC.
The introduction contrasts the Tommies’ choice of marching song with the Germans’ choice of ‘Da Wacht am Rhein’ and ‘Deutschland, Deutschland uber Alles’ and the marching songs of the French ‘Piou-Piou’. The French ‘were mystified’ at the choice of a song that seemed ‘sad’ and held no reference to ‘flag or country, or war or military glory’. For ‘Tommy Atkins likes to swing along to a music-hall song with a good rousing chorus’ and ‘Tipperary’ comes out on top.
There’s no mention of Ivor Novello’s ‘Keep the Home Fires Burning’, which was written in 1914 and is referred to in several later Punch cartoons.
Home Chat was printed and published in Farringdon Street, which runs across the eastern end of Fleet Street, on which the Tipperary pub is located. But it was not aways called the Tipperary, or ‘the Tipp’ as regulars call it.
The pub was built on a site that was a monastery in 1300, on an island between the Thames and the Fleet rivers that fed into the Thames. The Fleet still runs under the pub. The Boar’s Head pub was built in 1605 and survived the Fire of London in 1666 because it was built of stone and brick. In about 1700, the Dublin-based SG Mooney bought the pub, making it the first Irish pub outside Ireland and it was fitted out in an Irish style. It claims to be the first pub outside Ireland to stock bottled Guinness and later draught – and could also lay claim to being the narrowest in London.
In 1918, the printers who came back from the war had the pub’s name changed to The Tipperary, after their marching song. Today, the Boar’s Head is the name of the upstairs bar. The pub has been owned by Suffolk-based Abbott brewer Greene King since the 1960s.